The origins of Ouroux
The name Ouroux comes from the Latin term oratorium, which refers to a place of prayer. Located on the Roman road leading from Lyon to Autun, Ouroux was the stage for many invasions: firstly Roman invasions, and then by the Burgundians in the 5th century and the Frankish in the 6th Century. The ruins of many buildings and pottery illustrate the importance that Ouroux had to play in the Gallo-Roman civilisation. The village was a possession of the Lords of Beaujeu, and then the community of Bernardins in the 14th century.
Saint Louis, before heading off to the crusades in Egypt, stopped off in Ouroux. One of the stained glass windows in the church pays homage to this visit. Ouroux was part of the county and diocese of Mâcon. Comprising the parishes of St-Barthélémy and St-Antoine, the commune successively bore the names of St-Antoine d’Ouroux and, during the Revolution, of « Civic Valley ».
The Church Saint Antoine
Constructed in traditional Burgundian style, this dates back to the 12th century. Extended in 1832, and a listed historical building, it has retained its apse and square Roman-style bell. This is quite a remarkable. A Star of David and monstrance are represented on the roof. The church underwent restoration in 2003. The Frescos and stained glass windows were designed by Luc Barbier.